Skip to content

12/11/11 – Shared Governance Chair Report – Chair Lynch

January 18, 2012

Tuesday 12/06/11 – Monday 12/12/11

 

Re: Shared Governance Committee Chair Report

 

Weekly Goals

Chancellor’s Alcohol Policy Group: Meet with Johnna Sundberg about serving as rep for subcommittee on student org alcohol issues.

Follow up with appointees to SITIAC, HR Work Teams, and search and screens for the SoHE and Vet Med deans about their responsibilities to the ASM SGC.

Recruit, review applications, and forward appointments for Administrative Excellence Email/Calendaring and Space Utilization Committees.

Further orientation of new SGC Internal Affairs and Policy Directors.

Move forward with appointing SGC student rep to MSC Assistant Director search and screen committee. Schedule end-of-semester meeting with Hilliard.

Schedule end-of-semester meetings with Scott Owczarek and Carrie Kruse.

Move forward with organizing student group to continue working on textbook committee and keeping up to speed with etext pilot program.

Shared Governance Working Group: Contact Brad Postle about Healthcare Advisory Board, meeting to discuss potential for student involvement on Women’s Committee, discussion of Bike/Ped committee and faculty chair terms.

 

Work Accomplished

12/06/11        

Corresponded with Professor Nancy Wong regarding class presentations about the University Bookstore. Forwarded the info to Chair Johnson and Matt Kozlowski.

Sent info about Administrative Excellence work teams and application procedure to all Shared Governance Committee members.

Documented “ASM Accomplishments” for Student Council meeting.

Scheduled meeting next Monday, December 12th with Susan de Vos, who is highly involved with campus transportation issues.

Corresponded with Secretary Thomas about SGC involvement with the upcoming Spring recruitment drive; want to involve new SGC Directors.

Corresponded with LLPC rep Jonah Zinn about presenting on the Adidas campaign at the next weekly SGC meeting.

Sent email to College Library Director Carrie Kruse to schedule an end-of-semester check-in meeting about formation of a student advisory board to the libraries.

Meeting with Regents and other ASM reps. Need to follow up with Chancellor Ward about program cuts in the School of Human Ecology.

Attended Etext Pilot Team meeting to introduce myself and set the stage for student involvement with the program. Library rep Carrie Nelson mentioned the possibility of expanding the pilot team to broader, ongoing textbook committee.

Met with Chair Gardner and Eden Inoway Ronnie to follow up about second student seat on University Assessment Council, student reps on Accessibility and Usability Committee, and student involvement in program accreditation.

Student Transportation Board meeting.

 

12/07/11

Weekly check-in with Kelly Krein: Recruitment for Admin Excellence work teams.

Chair Johnson and I met with Brian McNurlen and Les Howles of the etext pilot team to discuss mechanisms for student involvement with the pilot program and long-term goals regarding establishment of ongoing textbook committee.

Corresponded with Brian Rust of the etext pilot team about additions to the outline for the Courseload public website; want sections that specifically pertain to the benefits and limitations for students. Also suggested that “News Item” be posted on sites with more student traffic.

Weekly email to the SGC: Agenda and minutes.

Attended Student Council meeting.

 

12/08/11        

Sent emails to Registrar Scott Owczarek and MSC Director Donte Hilliard to schedule end-of-semester check-in meetings. Also included SGC Directors and suggested that Chair Magallon come to the meeting with Hilliard.

Met with Johnna Sundberg about serving on subcommittee dealing with student org alcohol consumption. Clarified associated duties and time committment.

Sent email to UHS Prevention Services Director Tom Sieger officially appointing Johnna Sundberg as student rep on the Alcohol Policy Group subcommittee.

Corresponded with Johnna Sundberg and Jacob Miller to introduce them and continue coordination about prospective “Student Alcohol Policy Board.”

Sent email introducing SGC Policy Director Sundar Sharma and Intern Jonathan Harris. Sundar could continue Jonathan’s project for promoting the SGC and hopefully get WUD to show his Shared Gov ad before their screenings.

Sent email to SGC Policy Director Sundar Sharma and Sami Ghani encouraging them to collaborate on op-ed pieces that would inform general student body about student involvement in Shared Governance.

Weekly SGC meeting: Jonah Zinn presented about student success in pushing for Adidas contract to be cancelled unless Adidas adheres to workers’ rights standards. Other committee updates.

 

12/09/11

Sent email to Chair Johnson to confirm that she will be able to attend the Teaching Awards Committee meeting on January 4th.

Sent email reminder to Laura Dunek that the SGC Working Group meeting is rescheduled for next Monday, December 12th. Laura will be presenting her ideas for reviewing proposed degree program cuts at the UAPC.

Corresponded with David Gardner about his interest in AE work teams.

Sent Powerpoint presentation with background information about the etext pilot program to Collin Higgins and Matt Kozlowski. Matt has also suggested that we might get in touch with national WISPIRG textbook campaign rep.

Sent email to SGC member Rose Brenner about possibility of serving on the Accessibility and Usability Committee, with information about meeting times.

Updated applicant Matt Fischer about System student health insurance committee.

Met with Edith Flores about opportunities to get involved with the SGC, particularly the open seat on the Space and Remodeling Policies Committee. Sent email with application and information about how to apply.

Corresponded with CTC rep Jo Matzner about further historical context regarding problems with student representation on the CTC and Bike/Ped Subcommittee. Will take these up at the next SGC Working Group meeting.

Replied to Tyler Junger’s message pertaining to student representation on DoS search and screen committees. Want to hold off until Ad Hoc Committee report has been drafted and finalized.

Coordinating Council: Attendance policy, retreat planning.

 

12/10/11

Sent email to SGC member Sam Schmitt, who initially applied for Textbook Affordability Committee, with info about new opportunities to get involved with the textbook issue in light of the etext pilot program.

Finalized meeting with Tom Sieger, Jacob Miller, and Johnna Sundberg next Friday.

Corresponded with Chair Gardner about designating someone to attend Union Council meetings in her stead.

Corresponded with Professor Gillian-Daniel about including student rep(s) on chemical safety committee. At this point, committee will not add student seats of its own accord, so should take this up with the Ad Hoc Committee.

Followed up with SGC members Anthony Errigo and Anatoily Nechyporenko about coming to office hours next week to discuss potential SGC projects.

Sent Chair Gardner additions to Shared Gov Working Group agenda: Discussion about the length of and process of (re)appointment for faculty chairmanships, Chemical Safety Committee, Tyler’s proposal for appointing student reps to DoS search and screen committees.

Corresponded with SGC member and AE work team applicant Geoff Cohn about encouraging fellow business fraternity members to apply for work teams.

 

12/12/11

Met with NBS regarding Administrative Excellence work team appointments.

Emailed AE work team applicant Daniel Statter suggesting that he apply for work teams other than Space Utilization.

Emailed Yiyang Li suggesting that she apply for open seat on Space and Remodeling Policies Committee, in light of interest in Space Utilization AE work team.

Selected Ziqi Dai for AE work team on Strategic Purchasing of Scientific Supplies, Clay Thomas for Space Utilization, Bill Easton for Email/Calendaring, Geoff Cohn for Strategic Purchasing of Office Supplies, and Daniel Statter for Strategic Purchasing of MSO Supplies.

Followed up with Edith Flores about Space and Remodeling Policies Committee.

Emailed Healthcare Advisory Board chair Brad Postle about meeting with Sarah Van Orman to discuss potential changes to Board structure and membership.

Researched Committee on Women in the University to determine whether student involvement would be appropriate. Indeed it would!

Shared Governance Working Group: Laura Dunek presented framework for reviewing program cuts in UAPC; discussion of other target committees.

Emailed Laura Dunek about officially joining the Shared Gov Working Group.

Attended Academic Staff Assembly meeting with Kelly Krein. Aaron Brower presented on Educational Innovation Initiative, and mentioned that there will be more public forums next semester. SGC or SC field trip?

Met with Carrie Kruse and SGC Directors Sundar Sharma and Claudia Goodsett to follow up about plans to establish student advisory board to the libraries.

 

Committee Meetings and Attendance

12/08  Shared Governance Committee

 

External Meetings and Attendance

12/06  Regents Meeting

            Topics discussed: Student representation at the System level

12/06  Etext Pilot Team Meeting

            Topics discussed: Student input, finding professors to participate

12/06  Chair Gardner, Eden Inoway-Ronnie

            Topics discussed: Follow up about University Assessment Council

12/06  Student Transportation Board

12/07  Kelly Krein

            Topics discussed: Recruitment for Administrative Excellence work teams

12/07  Chair Johnson, Les Howles, Brian McNurlen

            Topics discussed: Mechanisms for student input into extext pilot program

12/07  Student Council

12/08  Johnna Sundberg

            Topics discussed: Subcommittee on student org alcohol consumption

12/09  Coordinating Council

12/12  NBS

            Topics discussed: Administrative Excellence work team appointments

12/12  Shared Governance Working Group

12/12  Academic Staff Assembly

Topics discussed: Educational Innovation Initiative. Aaron Brower mentioned that more public forums will be held next semester – should get SGC to go!

12/12  College Library Director Carrie Kruse, SGC Directors Sharma and Goodsett

            Topics discussed: Follow up regarding library student advisory board

 

ASM Press Office Highlights

  • Nominations for the SGC Policy Director and Internal Affairs Director approved. Moving forward with orienting these new SGC leaders!
  • Strong possibility that discussions surrounding etext pilot program provide the push for a shared governance textbook committee to be established.
  • Plans to establish a student advisory board for the libraries are underway!
  • Student seat on Chancellor’s Alcohol Policy Group has been formalized, and a student has been appointed to the subcommittee dealing with student org alcohol consumption. Student representatives on subcommittees could form an ASM Student Board dealing with these issues, like CTC/Student Transportation Board model.
  • Recruitment ongoing for students to sit on the Administrative Excellence work teams. Students have been selected for the following work teams: Space Utilization, Email/Calendaring, Strategic Purchasing of Scientific Supplies, and Strategic Purchasing of MSO Supplies, and Strategic Purchasing of Office Supplies. (Data Center Aggregation and Computer Bundles remain.)
  • Negotiations with Transportation Services underway regarding ways to deal with budget shortfall, particularly in relation to campus bus service.

 

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: